Friday, December 09, 2005

Memoirs on the big screen



One of my favorite books of all time comes to the big screen today. Memoirs of a Geisha by Arthur Golden . I can't wait. I absolutely LOVE this book. It follows the life of a young Japanese girl sold by her family to a okiya in 1930's Kyoto's Gion district.

I cannot tell you how much I loved this book. I couldn't put it down and I've read it 1.5 times more. :) Now...if Lauren would just give me my copy back.

What cracks me up about this movie is the controversy that is surrounding it. Japan's in an uproar because they're afraid the partial Chinese cast will not be able to accurately portray their culture. The fact that Geisha were not, indeed, prostitutes. They were highly educated and cultured women who worked simply as company & entertainment for wealthy men. They were schooled in the art of seduction through music, dance, conversation. They never exchanged money for sex. At least the majority them didn't.

China's in a tizzy because they're still not over WWII. All the 'savagery & inhumanity' as my mother says. Apparently, they're pretty upset as one of their most beloved stars, Zhang Ziyi, is in Memoirs...

As for me...I could care less. I look forward to seeing this story brought to life. From what I've seen in clips & previews, Rob Marshall has done a pretty good job. I truly looks like a beautiful movie.

As for the Chinese actors playing Japanese characters? What does it matter? A Russian Natalie Wood played a Puerto Rican in Westside Story and you didn't hear them bitching, now did you? Heck...probably more than half of America can't tell the difference between Chinese and Japanese. I know I can't sometimes. Can you?

No comments: